Table of Contents Hide
There are several types of laptops available today. The main difference between them is their size, screen resolution, processor speed, storage capacity, battery life, etc.
There are various models of laptops available in the market. Some are designed specifically for graphic designers, photographers, animators, video editors, web developers, etc. While some are meant for general purpose computing such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.
So what’s the best laptop for drawing or painting? Which model will be good for art teachers/art students who require a powerful yet portable computer to draw on?
If you are looking to buy a new laptop for yourself or your business, one that will be suitable for your needs and budget, then there are numerous options for you to choose from. But before we start listing out different types of laptops, I have listed below the 5 best laptops for artists and art students which I think are worth considering:
Compare all of the Best laptops for art teachers and art students below.
The 7 Best Pens for Note Taking
|Laptop||Memory||Screen||Pros / Cons||Price|
|Microsoft Surface Project T [Best Laptop for Artist]||32GB Ram / 512GB SSD||13.5" or 15"; 3K (3000 x 2000); 100% sRGB||Pros: Detachable screen; Touch Screen: Surface Pen ; Long battery life Cons: Expensive||View on Amazon|
|Apple MacBook Pro||16GB Ram / 512GB or 1TB SSD||16'', 3K (3024 x 1964) 113% sRGB||Pros: Powerful processor; Beautiful color accurate screen; Premium design Cons: No touch screen||View on Amazon|
|Top||ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo||16GB Ram / 1TB NVMe SSD||15.6'', 4k UHD OLED (3840x2160) 100% DCI-P3||Pros: Dual screens; Excellent color accuracy; Innovative design Cons: Price||View on Amazon|
|Lenovo Flex 5||16GB Ram / 256 SSD||14-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS touchscreen, 100% sRGB||Pros: Value for money; Pen included; Well-balanced for most tasks Cons: Small SSD||View on Amazon|
|Microsoft Surface Pro||16GB Ram / 256GB or 512GB SSD||12.3'' 3K (2736x1824)100% sRGB||Pros: Value for money; Cons: Small SSD, Small Screen Pen Not Included||View on Amazon|
1. Microsoft Surface Project T – 13.5 inches – 32 GB RAM
- Most powerful Surface laptop yet, with quad-core powered, 10th Gen Intel Core processors. More than 50% faster than Surface Book 2 13.5”.
- Fastest graphics on Surface, powered by NVIDIA GTX GeForce GPU. 40% more graphics performance than Surface Book 2 13.5″.
- Power when you need it. Up to 15.5 hours battery life — plus improved standby that extends battery life when you’re away.
- Robust laptop, powerful tablet, and portable studio in one.
- The connections you need, include USB-A, USB-C, and full-size SD card slots.
More About Product
Built for performance
Power through every day with the fastest Surface laptop yet – now more than 50% faster than Surface Book 2 13.5”. Tackle intensive tasks, edit large video files, and enjoy the best gaming experience on any Surface laptop.
As dynamic as you
When inspiration strikes, Surface Book 3 makes it easy to get it all done with a robust laptop, portable studio, and powerful tablet in one, complete with a detachable touchscreen.
Innovation in every detail
Nothing gets in the way of your creativity. Jot ideas down with Surface Pen. Be heard loud and clear with enhanced dual far-field Studio Mics and immersive Dolby Atmos sound. And, type fast and confidently on the premium, backlit keyboard.
The best of Microsoft
Focus on when you need to get it done with the Windows you know and create your best work on Microsoft 365. And, the best PC gaming on any Surface laptop is even better with your Xbox Wireless controller.View on Amazon
2. Apple MacBook Pro – 16 inches – 16 GB RAM
- Apple M1 Pro or M1 Max chip for a massive leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Up to 10-core CPU delivers up to 2x faster performance to fly through pro workflows quicker than ever
- Up to 32-core GPU with up to 4x faster performance for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for up to 5x faster machine learning performance
- Longer battery life, up to 21 hours
- Up to 64GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Up to 8TB of superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
- Stunning 16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display with extreme dynamic range and contrast ratio
- 1080p FaceTime HD camera with advanced image signal processor for sharper video calls
- Six-speaker sound system with force-canceling woofers
More About Product
This is an unusually large advance over previous models, especially in raw computing power, but also in fun things like screen and headphone support.
Screen Brightness* and Happiness
This screen can get up to 1600 nits brightness and can sustain full-screen brightness up to 1000. That’s very impressive, as MBPs since 2016 have topped out at 500.
*But the vast majority of the time, this screen will also top out at 500, because those other numbers are only for HDR (high dynamic range, what Apple calls XDR), i.e. some videos and some photos viewed in some programs. If you’re browsing the internet, using productivity apps, or the like, those are almost all SDR (standard dynamic range). You’ll be seeing them at the same brightness as with MBPs for the last five years.
That said, the new screen is beautiful and bright in both HDR and SDR for most situations. For HDR, it puts out more color and brightness, and darker blacks – a million-to-one contrast ratio – with a wider range of light and color that has more pop and more detail in shadows and highlights. It can be dazzling or just more realistic.
For SDR, it’s much like before, still a gorgeous screen, with better contrast than before because of darker blacks.
Has more pixels per inch (254, up from 226), and more pixels all over (3456 by 2234, up from 3072 by 1920). The aspect ratio remains 16:10 (not counting the top menu bar).View on Amazon
3. ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo – 15.6 inches – 16 GB RAM
- ScreenPad Plus: 14 inches 4K matte touchscreen, giving your endless way to optimize your multitasking experience by extending the screen or splitting windows and apps on both displays
- 15.6 inch 4K UHD NanoEdge touchscreen glossy main display
- Latest 9th generation Intel Core i7-9750H Quad-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz) with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- Detachable palm rest and ASUS active stylus pen included
- Fast storage and memory featuring 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD with 16GB DDR4 RAM
More About Product
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo UX581 with ScreenPad Plus gives you on-the-go computing as you’ve never experienced before. The 4K secondary touchscreen works seamlessly with the main 15.6 inches 4K UHD OLED touchscreen, giving you endless ways to optimize and personalize your workflow. A series of handy built-in apps help boost your productivity.
Quick Key allows one-tap automation of complex keyboard sequences, and Handwriting lets you input text intuitively. There are also useful quick controls such as App Switcher, ViewMax, and Task Swap for intuitive interactions between the main display and ScreenPad Plus. Task Group lets you lock into work mode by opening multiple tasks with a single touch. And now you can drag apps or in-app toolbars onto ScreenPad Plus to give you more room to work on the main display, wherever you are.
With ZenBook Pro Duo and the bundled stylus — or active stylus — you can really let your creativity flow. Both multi-touch displays support stylus input, and ScreenPad Plus gives you a superbly ergonomic and stable platform for writing or drawing. Take notes, sketch out your ideas, or do precision graphical editing in the most intuitive way ever. There’s also a separate palm rest in the box, which enhances the ErgoLift tilting keyboard design to give you the most comfortable typing experience ever.
ZenBook Pro Duo is powered by up to a 9th Generation Intel® Core i9 eight-core processor, the latest gaming-grade NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphics, and blisteringly fast storage. This ultrapowerful combination ensures that ZenBook Pro Duo takes professional-quality tasks in its stride, such as multi-layer photo or video editing, 3D graphics rendering or even game live-streaming.
*The actual transfer speed of USB 3.0, 3.1 (Gen 1 and 2), and/or Type-C will vary depending on many factors including the processing speed of the host device, file attributes, and other factors related to system configuration and your operating environment.View on Amazon
4. Lenovo Flex 5 14″ – 14 inches – 16 GB RAM
- Thin, light, and stylish – This 2-in-1 laptop weighs just 3.64 pounds and is only 0.82″ thick. It’s soft and comfortable to the touch, with a durable paint that creates a better user experience. Digital pen included
- The 10-point, 14-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS touchscreen allows the Lenovo Flex 5 14″ 2-in-1 laptop to be comfortable, fun, and easy to use. It’s also great to look at, with 4-side narrow bezels
- The 360⁰ hinge lets you use your 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop in whatever mode works best for you; Use it in ‘Laptop’ mode for everyday computing, ‘Tent’ mode for sharing things, ‘Stand’ mode for binge-watching or ‘Tablet’ mode for more intuitive interaction
- Enjoy up to 10 hours of battery life, plus a quick charge to 80% in just 1 hour
- Powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U mobile processor with Radeon graphics, you have the performance to do more, from anywhere. With more cores, you’ll experience responsiveness that leaps into action for productivity, gaming, and content creation
More About Product
Accessorize your lifestyle with the Lenovo Flex 5 14″ 2-in-1 Laptop. Ultra-thin, lightweight, and ultra-portable, the Flex 5 weighs in at just 3.64 lbs and is less than 1-inch thick when closed. Slim, stylish, and proudly powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U mobile processor with Radeon graphics, you can carry this touchscreen laptop with you everywhere – digital pen included. The Flex 5 is designed for excellent all-around performance, graphics, and productivity, whether you’re enjoying entertainment at home, working in the office, or studying at school.
Keep your ideas flowing anywhere and anytime. The 360 hinge lets you quickly and easily turn your touchscreen laptop into a tablet for more intuitive interaction, letting you write easily with the included digital pen. Set your 2-in-1 laptop in tent mode for sharing with friends or co-workers, or put your computer in stand mode when you’re binge-watching your favorite streaming show. With narrow bezels on all 4 sides, you’ll enjoy more viewing area and less clutter on the full high definition (1920 x 1080) IPS panel with 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio.
Other great features include a physical privacy shutter on the HD 720p camera with Fixed-Focus CMOS, 2×2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 ac) and Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity options, and 2 USB-A, 1 USB-C, and an HDMI port. You’ll also enjoy up to 10 hours of battery life, plus a quick charge with a 65W adapter – only 1 hour of charge time gives you 80% power.
All battery life claims are approximate and based on results using the MobileMark 2014 battery life benchmark test. Actual battery life will vary and depends on many factors such as product configuration and usage, software use, wireless functionality, power management settings, and screen brightness. The maximum capacity of the battery will decrease with time and use.
5. Microsoft Surface Pro – 12.3 inches – 8 GB RAM
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than Surface Pro 6, with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer. Wireless : Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax compatible. Bluetooth Wireless 5.0 technology
- More ways to connect, with both USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations, and more, as well as accessory charging
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light Surface Pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds. Aspect ratio: 3:2
- All-day battery life up to 10.5 hours, plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80% in just over an hour
More About Product
At the office, at home, or en route, the new Surface Pro 7 adapts to the way you work — and delivers more power than ever, with a laptop-class Intel Core processor, all-day battery, Instant On, graphics, and more multitasking connections. Up to 10.5 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage. Testing was conducted by Microsoft in September 2019 using preproduction software and preproduction Intel Core i5, 256GB, 8 GB RAM device. Testing consisted of full battery discharge with a mixture of active use and modern standby. View on Amazon
if you are looking for a portable computer, then this list should help you make your decision easier. We tried to include as many of the top-rated laptops as possible, so you don’t need to worry about missing out on anything. If you want something that’s specifically designed for creative professionals and artists, then the ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo or the MacBook Pro might be worth checking out. Otherwise, if you’re just looking for a good general-purpose laptop, then one of these options will serve you well. Just remember: the key to finding the right device for you is in the details. So take some time to read through our full review before making any buying decisions.